Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I'm a Scrapper!



Back in the day (which would be oh, about 3-6 years ago), I was just a teeny bit addicted to scrapbooking. It was my passion. I absolutely loved it. I loved taking pictures and even journaling, but most of all, I loved putting a layout together. The sense of accomplishment I had after completing a page really gave me a rush. I was proud of my layouts and I thought they were pretty darn cute. I got so involved in it that I started designing layouts for a couple of design teams. I would submit my layouts to magazines and they would get published...I actually got paid to scrap! I was posting my layouts to online galleries where other scrappers would leave comments about them.

Then it happened. I started comparing my work to others. My "art" which I loved so much. I started to feel inferior. I wanted to measure up--to be as good as the "famous" scrappers. I started losing my mojo. I started disliking my layouts. Scrapbooking wasn't enjoyable anymore. So I quit. :( I took a very long break. Like an almost 3 year long break. I had no interest in scrapping. No desire.

A week or so ago, I happened to go through a couple of my old albums that are being stored at my mom's house for the time being. I truly enjoyed looking at my old layouts. They were cute! And the journaling...some of it actually brought tears to my eyes while some of it made me laugh out loud. I am so happy that I preserved those memories. I had actually forgotten some of those things. {Advice--write things down. You just know that you'll never forget it--but you will.}

So all this got me thinking. I haven't scrapped or journaled in a super long time. That's a lot of memories from my son's life that I've missed out on recording. I'm going to be having another baby soon. I've gotta get busy! I absolutely must start scrapping again. I have to. And this time, I will not compare myself to others. I will make layouts that I love...I will make layouts for myself and for my family. And I'll share a few of them here with my bloggy friends! No more trying to be as "good" as others. I want my hobby back!

In honor of that, I'll share a layout I put together yesterday. The pictures are of my son about 2 years ago. I love his dirty little pig face! And I'm happy to say that I actually loved creating this layout (super simple, just my style!). So, on this Thursday, the thing I love is scrapbooking!



I like this little meme. I get to think of all the things I'm appreciative of and then share one (or two!) with yall. See what everyone else loves over at The Diaper Diaries!

9 comments:

Upstatemamma said...

I am no good at scrap booking so I don't even try. I use shutterfly to do digital scrapbooking.

And they sell that high chair I was talking about at Babies R Us - you could ask them to show you how it works. It really is perfectly safe but I had the same worry before I saw it being used.

Heidi Boos said...

This layout is beautiful and inspiring! I can see why you were published before. I love scrapbooking, too, but also find myself doing a lot of comparing. I've tried really hard not to do that because as you've said, we shouldn't! I think that the accomplishment we feel in our own creative thoughts and words should be enough for US! I love looking back over my scrapbooks to see what I've created. I'm proud that I have something to share. I'm glad you're back to a place of creativity you love!

Unknown said...

that is a gorgeous layout! I can no longer do paper scrapbooking so I do digi scrapbooking and I am constantly disliking what I do but I enjoy it so much that I just do it anyway. I know how you feel but from what I can tell you have no reason to dislike your layouts, you seem very talented and it looks like you have a handsome subject to scrapbook about. I am glad you are doing it again

Robin Johnson said...

I love that you are scrapbooking again. It is hard not to compare your layout to others, I have struggled with the same problem, but it seems that you have found a way that will work for you. For whatever it is worth, I love your page. It has all that is really needed. Photos and your loving thoughts. Enjoy the process and just create.

Monica said...

It's beautiful my friend! I really love the simplicity , my style too as you know. You are so right about the comparison thing ..we shouldnt be doing that! I hope to find some time here very soon to create something, even if its just card :)
I too love looking back at all the pages I have created , brings back so many memories that seem like just yesterday!
I am uploading a ton of pics as I type to scrapbookpictures.com ..yea me!

Shannon said...

I used to be big into scrapbooking. For years I thought long and hard about each layout making it just right. Now, I just don't have the time to do "great" work, so I've stopped altogether! Maybe if/when baby #2 comes along...Bravo for picking it back up again!

AndreaLeigh said...

i'm not a scrapper, but I have such admiration for the creativity and talent is takes to make something as beautiful as what you created.

Rachel Lundy said...

That's great that you're getting back into scrapbooking. Enjoy it!

Suz said...

Nice layout. I love the color combo & titlework