Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Gratituesday



I just read a fantastic interview over at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers with Stephen James and David Thomas, authors of the book Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys. I am so grateful for that interview. I really needed it. I've been struggling with myself lately, trying to decide what type of curriculum to start for Cade (we're homeschooling). He's been learning bits and pieces here and there every day but we haven't started anything formal yet. He absolutely hates sitting at the table and doing school work so I'm trying to find lessons that are hands-on. He needs to learn through doing and experiencing. I just sometimes doubt myself because that doesn't seem like "school" so much. This interview reassured me that I'm on the right track. Boys learn in a different way. They're kinesthetic learners and there's nothing wrong with that. My son definitely needs movement. He needs activity. He needs meaning to his learning, not just rote memorization. So, I'm grateful for the interview and the confirmation it gave me. And I'm eternally grateful for the chance I have to parent this amazing little boy of mine! What a blessing!

By the way, I haven't read the book yet but I'm going to...just ordered it from Amazon!

3 comments:

auntrene said...

Hi, Glad you stopped by my Spring Fling Giveaway Yesterday. That was fun, I am exhausted today. Lots of blogging fun.
I will be giving the girl scout cookies away in a few minutes. Good Luck!!

Unknown said...

I LOVE Mary Kay, you were above my comment on SITS so I thought I would stop by and say hi. Have a happy day!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! I have two amazing little boys and am soooo thankful for everything "boy" in them. My oldest is "homeschooling" via a more unschooling model at this point. Perhaps next year we might move into a few more structured things as he matures. I enjoyed reading the interview, too.

Blessings & Peace,
KristenM
(AKA FoodRenegade)